Wednesday 16 January 2013

What a Year! Challenge and Reward in Pakshikha

I've been reflecting on what I achieved at Pakshikha MSS, a school not even a year old when I joined, barely fitted out with the necessary equipment to teach, staffed by a young group of teachers, managed by a dynamic, ambitious and young principal, isolated on a hillside with no internet and unreliable fax and phone, home to over 500 children. There were many challenges for the school - water supply, beautifying what began as a dusty establishment and grew into a lush learning environment, developing administrative procedures and establishing roles...in short... working things out, defining the school. What a great environment to be in!  

In Bhutan, I worked harder than I have in any other job. Why? Because I was given the opportunity to do so! And because it meant more - the impact was tangible with the kids and with the school and that drove my motivation to take on more responsibilities and keep saying YES! Gratitude fired me on too, genuine gratitude, like that which I will always have for the people who looked after me there and taught me valuable lessons about being happy. The sense of achievement and reward for my efforts were always immediate and real. In a new school, much needs to be done. In a developing country with resourcing and skillset challenges, your talents (and I mean you now!), whatever they are, can make a real difference instead of being stifled. 

To anyone feeling this way at home, under-appreciated, under-used, stifled or bored, I would say to you - go somewhere that actually needs you. Forget about money for a while and choose to give and get back stuff of actual value instead. A developing country still values education, right across the strata of society, including the kids - you will get gratitude for having chosen the noble profession of  teaching, a gratitude that is thin on the ground elsewhere. 

Incidentally, I checked my UK bank balance twice in Bhutan. I checked my Bhutan balance perhaps half a dozen times. I mean it when I say 'Forget about money for a while.'

Here's a  record of what I did in addition to my teaching responsibilities. I post it because I'm proud of it, more than I realised when I had to put it together. And I'm grateful for it. Every box in this table represents another moment of trust and another opportunity, another challenge that I threw my arms open to and delivered on.  




And all of this happened with a timetable that looked like this for the first 6 months 
(55 minute periods, 33 out of possible 37!):



Of course, the last 6 months was not like this - we shaved it down to 24 periods. Still 3 more than I taught in the UK. Ayeeesh. But it was worth it. It was great, every minute of it (that's not quite true, but it's close to the truth)

If you want to teach in Bhutan, or if you want to help an organisation that places people like me in places like this then start here:

http://www.bhutancanada.org/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amazing achievements - Dave.