Friday 18 May 2012

A Song - Beneath the Branches

I suppose it's about time I added some songs to this blog as I have a tendency to write them in a hobbyish sort of way I've written 4 or 5 since I landed here. This is the only one that has successfully made it through the crowded and ever-narrowing interpipes... It's called Beneath the Branches and it's a wee ditty about autumnal country-walking, flights of fancy, and moments enjoyed too much for the chances therein to be taken...



Beneath the Branches

The foggy days have come,
the light is gray, the Earth is dun,
the mud beneath our feet is wet and brown.
When we pass by your favourite tree, you bend down upon a knee,
you take a piece of dirt in your hand and you press it to your cheek.

We walk on silently, 
beneath the branches, under leaves.
And I wonder if deep down you're feeling lonely.
I can't resist the thought that everything that you ever brought was meant for me, 
that I'm your one and only.

And I don't know if I will ever feel this alive when the day is gone and you're not by my side.

I'd paint you there if I could hold a brush and use it,
I'd sketch you into my life like a loving man.
If I could write a song that was worthy of your music 
or just take you by the hand... I'd be a better man.


And I don't know if I will ever feel this alive when the day is gone and you're not by my side.

2 comments:

Billy&Bernadette said...

Good stuff Dave. And nice to see you!!! SJ xxx

Unknown said...

Lovely to see you and enjoyed your song.

Hopefully, see you in September.
Mumxx