Saturday 18 August 2012

Out of the Sick Room and Into the Jungle

I did it! I left the sick room behind and fled to the real world. Goodbye concrete, hello wood. Goodbye hot shower, hello bucket bath. Goodbye fans, hello heat. Goodbye sealed up walls and windows, hello insects creeping in.Goodbye free living, hello rent and bills. Goodbye hearing students all day, hello the clicks and chirrups of the cicadas. Goodbye damp, hello fresh air. Goodbye school campus, hello BHUTAN!

Some people thought I was a bit nuts doing this so close to the end (still 4 months tho!), but I'm absolutely certain it's worth it. Nothing beats walking back in the evening along the jungly road and sitting out on the balcony just relaxing. Inside I've got a small kitchen and three rooms. The sun comes up in the window of my bedroom. One room is a walk-in wardrobe - I've hung rope across it and I hang everything as a guarantee against damp. The sun goes straight through the window onto these clothes throughout the day, so should be fine there. Photos of the inside once I've fixed it up, but here's a taster. Anyone considering visiting should definitely make the move now!

From a distance - mine is the one on the far right with the green roof. My rooms are on the near side, top floor. Downstairs is empty, but will be a shop soon (perfect). And my friend ST lives with his wife and three baby daughters on the bottom left.



Add caption
View from the road...



View of the school from my drive...


View of the valley




View from my bedroom window...





1 comment:

Vicky and Ian said...

Good for you Living off campus is really worth it Glad you made it happen